Sunday, June 7, 2009

Writing Conference: Sunday Night

Dear Diary,

I wrote a query letter today. A query letter is a one page cover-letterish document in which you have two small paragraphs to tell enough about your book, that an editor or agent just can't stand to not ask to see more. Fairly daunting, if you ask me.

For months I have been dreading writing it. I have put it off until it can't be put off any longer. I told myself that if I'd just sit down and do it, it wouldn't be as hard as I imagined it would be.

It was harder.

There's no way I can show this thing to them.

So I moved on to the pitch.

I told my kids that I needed to pitch my book to them, first to Cory and Alecia, and then to Kyle. I said the word "um" no less than 17 times during each pitch, and "oh, wait!" followed by some part I forgot several more times. How am I going to do it in front of major New York based professionals when I can't do it in front of an audience who thinks that pretty much anything I pitch is golden?

Love,

Stressed out on Sunday

No comments: